Thursday 26 July 2012

What is "normal"

I'm tired. I feel like I've spent the last few days hiking through rough ground; every part of my body feels exhausted.

But then, it has been an emotional couple of days all in all.

I've read a fair bit recently on what a "normal" pregnancy is, what hiccups can happen, and what to look out for.   I have to wonder whether all that reading can be counter intuitive.  And you start seeing things that may not be there. I've not experienced much morning sickness for example... Does that mean my pregnancy hormones are low?  Am I not sleeping enough? Should I eat more bananas?

Then on Monday afternoon I had some spotting.  I tried not to be concerned.  I was in no pain and I'd read somewhere that was normal in early pregnancy, but actually seeing blood where you don't expect there to be any is always concerning. So I called the doctors... And I was rushed in for an emergency scan yesterday morning.

The Hubby and I couldn't help but worry. I even stupidly referred to Doctor Google... My emotions swung dramatically when after pages of reading I determined that either everything was normal or I was miscarrying.  I didn't know what to think. So as Hubby and I waited for the sonographer I had to keep beating off waves of nausea - and once again not caused by morning sickness.

The sonographer reminded me of an old school dinner lady, determined to get her job done and me out quickly. I'm sure she is nice enough, but as she was having a good poke around, there was no time for pleasantries. About the most she said was "you can get your knickers on."

Regardless of her blunt nature thankfully the sonographer said everything is normal. Although they can't see our baby yet, the egg sack is a good size, shape and in the right location. Everything is as expected for 6 weeks.

I'm still bleeding. Slightly. And as they can't see a baby yet, there's no heartbeat to confirm. So they've asked me to go back again in a fortnight to see if there have been any changes.

My pregnancy symptoms might be few and far between (apparently that can be normal too...), but what ever is happening we should have some type of confirmation in two weeks.

In the meantime I just have to hope everything keeps ticking along, well, normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment