Sunday 22 July 2012

Trying to get some shut-eye.

I love my eye mask.

I don't know if it's excitment, nerves, or simply the hormones pinwheeling around my body, but for the last few weeks I've really struggled to sleep.

Not fall asleep, that's easy enough, (my head hits the pillow and I'm gone) it's the staying asleep. I toss and turn. I fling the covers left and right. I'm too hot. I'm too cold. I had really vivid dreams...

My poor Hubby is already threatening to go and sleep in the spare bed (he has to attempt to wrestle the duvet from my vice-like grip if I go to bed before him), - he doesn't like disturbing me to reclaim a sliver of matress, but apparently I make it quite clear that I want the entire king sized bed to myself...

I suspect this is the start of a long sleep-deprived journey.  No matter how early I hit the hay I still wake up tired... But then we dug out my eye mask. It doesn't stop the tossing and turning. Nor does it prevent me claiming/rejecting all the duvet. But what it does do is give me more time to sleep.

I stumble into bed shattered, and I wake up only slightly rested. Clearly the flinging myself around the mattress all night isn't conducive to a good night's sleep.  But, at least with my eye mask, I can trick my body into thinking it's still night and grab a few extra hours of dozing.

Shame this morning my beauty sleep was interuptted by some very loud builders outside our window. Maybe I should invest in some ear plugs...

What tricks and tips do you have for getting a good night's sleep?


No comments:

Post a Comment